What Is Brain Fog?
Mental fatigue, or ‘brain fog’ as it’s often known, isn’t a specific medical condition.
This can affect you in many ways, because your brain has such a vast range of functions
It could mean that you have trouble with your memory. It’s easy to notice when you forget to complete a routine task, or a go blank trying to remember a familiar person’s name. You maybe even find yourself struggling with simple calculations, like counting loose change when you’re paying for a coffee.
What Causes Brain Fog?
The causes of brain fog are as diverse as the symptoms. It’s best to work out what’s behind it before it gets too frustrating.
- Lack of sleep – your brain needs both quality and quantity when it comes to sleep. Without enough good sleep, you’re likely to feel a little fuzzy headed, and have trouble concentrating.
- Stress – when stress becomes an ongoing issue, it can tire your brain out to the point where thinking, reasoning and focusing become harder.
- Hormonal changes – Can have an impact on your memory and ability to think clearly.
- Diet – your brain needs energy and nutrition, much like other parts of your body. Getting enough vitamin B-12 and iron are particularly important.
- Physical inactivity – your brain works very closely with your body, and it doesn’t operate well when you sit all day and don’t take the time to keep physically fit.
How To Clear The Fog
Simple changes to your behaviour can have a significant impact to your cognitive health. Our advice is to:
- Manage your stress levels – take time out to do things that make you happy
- Give your diet a boost – with more protein, fruit, vegetables, and sources of healthy fats such as nuts, avocados and olive oil
- Keep your alcohol and caffeine intake low – tough but worth it
- Exercise more – getting regular exercise and becoming physically fit is great for brain fitness
- Improve your sleeping habits – aim for 8 to 9 hours of sleep per night
If you still find yourself suffering from mental fatigue it may be worth trying a dietary supplement. Our top product recommendation to reduce mental fatigue, improve clarity, aid memory and metal performance, is BioCeuticals Cognition Support. Be sure to speak with one of our pharmacists for personalised advice before starting any supplementation, or you can book a Naturopath appointment here.